Treasure Chest

Treasure Chest

Monday, February 28, 2011

Anecdote - David Roper


Ps 118:24 - This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

I was in a convenience store one day, standing in line behind a man paying for his groceries.  When he was finished the clerk sent him off with a cherry “Have a great day!”
To the clerk’s surprise (and mine) the man exploded in anger. “This is one of the worst days of my life,” he shouted. “How can I have a great day?” And with that he stormed out of the store.
I understand the man’s frustration; I too have had “bad” days over which I have no control. How can I have a great day. I ask myself, when it’s beyond my control? Then I remember these words: “This is the day the Lord has made.” (Psalm 118:24).
The Lord has made every day, and my Father will show Himself strong on my behalf today. He has control over everything in it --- even the hard things that will come my way. All events have been screened through His wisdom and love, and they are opportunities for me to grow in faith. “His mercy endures forever” (Psalm 118:1). “The Lord is on my side, I will not fear´ (Psalm 118:6).
Now, when people give me the parting admonition to have a great day, I reply, “That’s beyond my control, but I can be grateful for whatever comes my way, and rejoice --- for this is the day the Lord has made.”

No comments:

Post a Comment