Treasure Chest

Treasure Chest

Friday, February 4, 2011

Poem by James J. Montague - His Mother


My mommie’s in a hospital; that’s where sick people stays
An’ she has been away from home, oh! such a lot of days!
Such dreadful long days, yes, they are, for me an’ little Ben
We can’t do nothin’ ‘cept to wish that she’d come home again.

But papa, he says he can’t tell. Our papa never cries;
But when we ask him that sometimes he winks an’ winks his eyes,
An’ hugs and kisses both of us, like mamma used to do,
He’s all growed up, but still I guess he wants our mamma, too.

Sometimes I wake right up at night, an’ I sit up an’ call
An’ think I hear my mamma’s steps a-comin’ down the hall.
When she was here at home, you know, she’d always come so quick.
An’ be so awful good to us if one of us was sick.

An’ sometimes she’d just stay all night, right here beside our bed,
And show us, when the sun comed up, how all the sky got red.
Because that God had painted it, an’ let the stars go’ way
And rest till almost time to shine, an’ then run out an play.

When I wake up like that at night an’ find she’ gone, I try
To keep the tears from comin’ out, but I have to cry.
My papa always comes right in, an he is dreadful good,
But somehow he can’t make me well, the way my mamma could.

He gives me medicine an’ things, an’ pats my cheeks, but she
Would understand just how I felt, ezackly same as me!
Of course I know she’ll come back soon, and then we’ll all be right.
But oh! I tell you what it is, I wisht she’d come tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment