Treasure Chest

Treasure Chest

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Quote - Unknown (Alice Freeman Palmer)

“What shall I talk about ?”  Alice Freeman Palmer, one of the earlier presidents of Wellesley College , once asked the girls of a school in the slums of the city. One girl replied, “Tell us how to be happy.” “The tears rushed to my eyes,” wrote Mrs. Palmer, “and a lump came into my throat. Happy in such surroundings! Well” said I “I will give you my three rules for living happy, but mind, you must all promise to keep them for a week, and not skip a single day, for they won’t work if you skip one single day. The first is that you will commit something to memory every day, something good. It needn’t be much, three or four words will do, just a pretty little poem or Bible verse. . . . The second rule is, look for something pretty every day, and don’t skip a day or it won’t work. A leaf, a flower, a cloud, ---- you can all find something. My third rule is ---- no mind,  don’t skip a day ! ---- do something for somebody every day.”

No comments:

Post a Comment