Treasure Chest

Treasure Chest

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Quote - Martin Luther

          First, when I feel that I am become cold and indisposed to prayer, by reason of other business and thoughts, I take my Psalter and run into my chamber, or, if day and season serve, into the church to the multitude, and begin to repeat to myself---just as children used----the ten commandments, the creed, and according as I have time, some sayings of Christ or of Paul, or some Psalms.  Therefore it is will to let prayer be the first employment to the early morning, and the last in the evening.  Avoid diligently those false and deceptive thoughts which say, Wait a little, I will pray and hour hence; I must first perform this or that.  For with such thoughts a man quits prayer for business that lays hold of and entangles him, so that he comes not to pray the whole day long.

No comments:

Post a Comment