Treasure Chest

Treasure Chest

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Quote - Charles Swindoll

           Our culture is constantly sending the message that big boys done cry; they are to be tough, no tender. The mistake our cultu8re makes is seeing toughness and tenderness as mutually exclusive qualities.  Two of history’s “manliest” men, David and Jesus, displayed moments of great tenderness. David weeps openly with Jonathan in 1 Samuel 20:41 (And as soon as the lad was gone, David arose out of a place toward the south, and fell on his face to the ground, and bowed himself three times: and they kissed one another, and wept one with another, until David exceeded.) and repeatedly throughout the Psalms (Ps 6:6 I am weary with my groaning; all the night make I my bed to swim; I water my couch with my tears. And  Ps 69:10  When I wept, and chastened my soul with fasting, that was to my reproach.)
            Jesus weeps over the death of His friend Lazarus (John 11:35 - Jesus wept) and over the unrepentant city of Jerusalem (Luke 19:41 - And when he was come near, he beheld the city, and wept over it,) How often do your children see you being vulnerable and tender? If they don’t see those qualities in you, where will they learn them?

No comments:

Post a Comment