Treasure Chest

Treasure Chest

Monday, January 24, 2011

Poem by Martha Snell Nicholson - I Shall be Like Him

1 John 3:2 - Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

There is a verse of Scripture
Which grips my very soul,
And lights earth’s dingy pathway, ---
A gleaming, shining goal.

So long I have been wearied
Of this weak self of mine,
This sinning, faltering nature,
So different, Lord, from Thine.

And so with utter rapture
I read the words which say
I shall be changed entirely
And be like Thee some day.

Like Thee, like Thee, My Saviour?
I cannot understand.
The vessel like the Potter
Who made it with His hand?

The lost lamb like the Shepherd,
The branches like the Vine?
Help me, I am bewildered
With riches poured like wine.

I cannot understand, dear Lord,
I only trust and know
That when at last I am like thee
My cup will overflow.

No comments:

Post a Comment