Treasure Chest

Treasure Chest

Monday, January 23, 2012

Poem by John Greenleaf Whittier

Like the publican of old,
I can only urge the plea,
“Lord, be merciful to me!”
Nothing of desert I claim
Unto me belongeth shame.

Let the lowliest task be mine,
Grateful, so the work be Thine;
Let me find the humblest place
In the shadow of Thy grace;
Blest to me were any spot


Where temptation whispers not.
If there be some weaker one,
Give me strength to help him on;
If a blinder soul there be,
Let me guide him nearer Thee.


Make my mortal dreams come true
With the work I fain would do;
Clothe with life the weak intent,
Let me be the thing I meant;
Let me find in Thy employ


Peace that dearer is than joy;
Out of self to love be led
And to heaven acclimated,
Until all things sweet and good
Seem my natural habitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment