Treasure Chest

Treasure Chest

Friday, December 10, 2010

Poem by James Whitcomb Riley - In a Friendly Sort O' Way

When a man ain’t got a cent, and he’s feeling kind o’ blue.
An’ the clouds hang dark an’ heavy, an’ won’t let the sunshine through,
It’s a great thing, O, my brethren, for a feller just to lay
His hand upon your shoulder in a friendly sort o’ way!

I makes a man feel curious, it makes the teardrops start,
An’ you sort o’ feel a flutter in the region of the heart;
You can look up and meet his eyes; you don’t know what to say
When his hand is on your shoulder in a friendly sort o’ way.

Oh, the world’s a curious compound, with it honey and its gall,
With its cares and bitter crosses, but a good world, after all.
An’ a good God must have made it---leastways, that is what I say,
When a hand is on my shoulder in a friendly sort of way

2 comments:

  1. This poem has been very encouraging to me. I lost the words for many years and am very grateful to have found them again. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a hand written poem by James Whitcomb Riley it is called The Friendly Hand it was written on paper from Dr. Sam W.Latham office if you would like to see it you can call me at 812-582-3532 my name is Ronald Williams

    ReplyDelete