Treasure Chest

Treasure Chest

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Anecdote - Lincoln's Plea


A visitor to the White House during the days of the Civil War said: “I had been spending three weeks in the White House with Mr. Lincoln as his guest.  One night it was just after the battle of Bull Run , I was restless and could not sleep. It was coming near the dawn of the day, when I heard low tones proceeding from a private room, where the President slept. The door was partly open. Instinctively I walled in, and there I saw a sight which I shall never forget.
            It was the President kneeling before an open Bible. The light was turned low in the room. His back was toward me. I shall never forget his tones so piteous and so sorrowful, “O thou God, that heard Solomon in the night when he prayed and cried for wisdom, hear me! I cannot lead this people. I cannot guide the affairs of this nation without Thy help. I am poor and weak and sinful. O God, thou didst hear Solomon when he cried for wisdom --- hear me and save this nation.”
            God heard, and He answered him then and there. Will He not answer TODAY?

No comments:

Post a Comment